Description: This course will be teaching all levels of study skills utilizing a 20+ year program with investigations and exercises that have increased thousands of students GPA by at least 1 full grade level. It will provide students with a strong background in note-taking, problem solving, reasoning, and real world testing environments.
Textbook: Practical Academic Study Skills; George Jessup; 1993. Additional course materials will be provided through SDSU BlackBoard.
Course Evaluation and Grades: There will be 5 tests worth 100 points each for a total of 500 possible points. If you do miss a class, it is your responsibility to learn all the material covered in class and to be aware of all the announcements made. Makeup exams will be given only for excused absences. It is your responsibility to schedule any makeup exam you need. The 6 activities are worth 40 points per lesson for a total of 240 points. The 6 assignments will be worth 60 points each for a total of 360 points. The discussion forum will be graded on a basis of content and participation for up to 250 points. The major project (WIMBA presentation of instructional material during lesson 8) will be worth 200 points. All work must be shown to receive full credit. The final will be worth 150 points. Class participation will be worth 100 points, grading will be on a basis of active participation in class – not just attending. The total of 1800 points will be graded “straight scale”.
Academic Integrity and Classroom Behavior: This class will be conducted in accordance with San Diego State’s Student Code of Conduct and basic standards of academic honesty. Cheating, plagiarism, or other forms of academic dishonesty are not acceptable and will not be tolerated. Students are expected to respect and obey standards of student conduct while in class or on campus. Students with disabilities who may need academic accommodations or students who encounter a problem accessing any portion of this class should contact the instructors immediately.
Multimedia: You are attending a multimedia online school. Unless specifically denied it is understood that your work and the classroom activities are public domain. In particular, the major project will be recorded and used to help other students learn.
Many of the classes will be photographed and/or videoed. This form authorizes the use of archives, audio, and video for instructional purposes.
By signing below you agree to abide by the restrictions and commitment stated above.
Print your name:__________________________________
Sign your name:___________________________________ Date:_________________
Print parent/guardian name (if under 18):_________________________________
Parent/guardian signature:___________________________ Date:__________________
PROJECT BASED LEARNING: Curriculum for PASS
Goal: To teach key study skills and learning concepts through project based learning in cooperation with San Diego State University.
Approach: Thematic project based learning that integrates study skills. The lessons will be based around projects in SDSU BlackBoard.
Students will be able to:
1. Research data and draw valid conclusions
2. Successfully conduct investigations and collect data
3. Interpret data and draw conclusions
4. Observe and accurately record internet activities
5. Research and gather new information about study skills throughout the internet
6. Accurately record new information
7. Utilize their improved study skills to raise test scores and
Types of Activities:
1. Investigate Study Skills: note-taking, reading, time management, problem solving, memorization, test taking, online classroom interactions.
2. Observations: archive data for future use.
3. Interactive learning sessions with SDSU experts (lectures, attendance at special WIMBA exhibits and events, movies, distance learning)
4. Experimental Design – presentations.
1. Each will be tied to the above themes (Study Skills and investigation)
2. Each will have one or more objectives
3. Each will fit one or more of the above types (1-4)
4. Each will have both a written explanation and be verbally communicated to students
5. Each will take approximately 15-25 minutes
6. Each will have a format template to be used by students in their
Types of Classroom activities/assignments:
1. Investigative techniques
2. Computer Research
3. Data Analysis
4. Data Interpretation
5. Vocabulary building
8. Assessments (tests will be less than 20 minutes of lesson)
9. Writing exercises (essays)
10. Photographic, audio, and video displays
1. Each student must be able to sign into the course’s WIMBA classroom
2. Each student must have an online journal and record information in the appropriate template
3. Each student must take the course and tests within the time limits established.
4. Equipment: -- computer with webcam and microphone and internet access.